Saturday, December 27, 2008

White Chocolate Macaroon Cookies

This to me is not a great name for these cookies. Macaroon. If you remember back, oh say, a few months ago I gave you a boring book report on Macaroons. Remember, how that they are not a cookie but rather a confection. That only in the United States do we put coconut in ours and other nations just throw together whatever they find or have on hand and call it a Macaroon. Okay, so I don’t like this name but we will go with it because today I do not feel rather witty or creative for some reason. Must be the weather, cause we have had every kind of weather today except for snow, but the day ain’t over yet.
Moving on quickly, so I made these cookies not once, but twice last week because they were loved by others so much. I personally think that they tasted like a Coconut Cream Pie in cookie form. Imagine with me, a pre-baked pastry crust, with a coconut cream filling, topped not with meringue, but rather whipped cream and toasted coconut on top. Yum. This was my favorite pie growing up. Now, there are too many to be a favorite.
The original recipe was from Betty Crocker and I decided to change it some. I did not put the melted white chocolate icing on top because IT DIDN'T NEED IT. That would have been so unbelievably sweet. Oh my, the center of a Valentine Chocolate comes to mind. You know the ones that have the pink or white creamy filling that you take one bite and if you are me you throw it away or some people put it back with a bite out of it. Never understood that. So, I skipped the icing and the sprinkles. The recipe itself was very easy since it used a packaged cookie mix as the base. Mine took about 11 minutes with 16 on each pan. Oh and I did not have to get out the mixer. Just elbow grease!
So go out there and make this cookie that I think needs a better name. If you think of one, just let me know. And if you need more sugar in your diet, you can find the original recipe here.

White Chocolate Macaroon Cookies
1 pouch (1 lb 1.5 oz) Betty Crocker® sugar cookie mix
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 egg
1 cup flaked coconut
1 cup white vanilla baking chips
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Heat oven to 375°F. In large bowl, stir cookie mix, butter, egg, coconut, 1 cup of the baking chips and the extract until dough forms. Drop dough by rounded teaspoonfuls 2 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheet.
Bake 9 to 11 minutes or until golden brown around edges. Cool 1 minute before removing from cookie sheet; cool completely, about 20 minutes.

No comments: