Wednesday, December 31, 2008

III Forks Off the Cob Cream Corn

My husband and I went to his company Christmas Party this year at a restaurant called III Forks. It has been around for a long time and is known for steaks. I was looking forward to going to eat there, but I was not looking forward to having to eat steak. You see, I am not a lover of red meat. I like chicken. What do they not have on their menu-chicken. What? No chicken? Not even a piece of grilled chicken with a side of mashed potatoes and seasonal veggies? What? Crazy. So I sucked it up and went anyway. Due to the fact that the party was a sit down meal for 45 people they gave us an abbreviated menu of one fish and 3 kinds of steak. This menu was read aloud to us and a team of waiters came and took our order. Oh dear, what pressure. You see, when going to a new fancy restaurant I like to be prepared ahead of time on the menu. I was prepared alright, for their regular menu. The choices that were given were not on my cheat sheet. So, I quickly made a decision of Filet Mignon. I liked it as a child so I thought I would like it that day. My biggest problem with steak is simple. I’m a lazy eater. I don’t like to chew much. Steak equals lots of chewing and that’s just not my thing. The meat was good but the sides were even better.
This brings me to today’s non-dessert post. III Fork’s Cream Corn. Yum. Everyone at our table loved it. Trust me, this ain’t your Grandma’s boring cream corn. So, after talking to someone the next day that also had recently been to the restaurant, I found out that they had a cookbook. I knew right then that the corn would be a lovely side dish for Christmas. I looked online for the recipe and came across my new favorite copy cat website called Recipe Goldmine. Wow. Lots of restaurant recipes. The cream corn popped up right away. Success. Then I read the recipe and told my husband that he could take on the challenge. At first, it seemed rather daunting for a corn side dish. After going through it with him, it was not that bad. We even cooked the corn the day before and used frozen ears of corn instead of fresh. It was wonderful and tasted just like what we had that night at the restaurant. My husband even used the leftovers to make corn chowder a couple of days later. Give this a try if you want a super creamy, seasoned, buttery, creamed corn at your next dinner.

III Forks Off the Cob Cream Corn
10 ears fresh (or frozen ears) corn, shucked, cooked and off cob
1 cup heavy cream (used whipping cream)
1 cup milk
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon white pepper (used black)
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon Accent seasoning
1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic (used garlic powder)
1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme (used 1/4 tsp of ground thyme)
4 ounces unsalted butter (1/2 cup)
2 tablespoons flour
In a large saucepan, combine the first 10 ingredients. Slowly bring it to a boil. Reduce to a simmer. Allow to simmer for three minutes. In a separate pan, melt the butter until it begins to pop, then stir the flour into the butter. Add the butter and flour mixture to the simmering corn. Stirring occasionally, allow to simmer for three more minutes. Keep warm until served.

2 comments:

Cyndi said...

Yep! It is to die for! My fave place to eat!

Anonymous said...

This recipe is spot on but the corn needs to soak overnight. A wait or there told me this and once we soaked it overnight it changed the game!