Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Special Dark Chocolate Kisses

Yet another recipe from the cookie swap a few weeks ago. Hershey’s Special Dark Chocolate Kisses. There are lots of dark chocolate lovers in my family however; I am not one of them. Nope, milk chocolate for me. Dove milk chocolate. Mmmm, my favorite. I found a bag of Special Dark and a recipe out of the Better Homes and Gardens Cookie Magazine and decided to give this cookie a try. From what I have heard, Special Dark is hard to find. It must be seasonal. I have never looked for it before; so this was not a concern of mine. I say I found a bag, well the bag found me. I picked up the wrong one and with 90 kisses you have to do something with them.
This would be an excellent recipe for 2 children to do while being supervised. One child could dip the balls in milk, and the other could dip them into the sprinkles and place them on the pan. Now, I have no idea how you would work out the kisses on top. But, that would be for you to decide or find a random third child to step in at the end of the recipe.
Finally, another thing I have trouble with dark chocolate is how it “blooms” more often than not. You know, it turns somewhat gray with white running through it? Well, I did not think that it looked very pleasing to the eye so I took the time to wipe each piece with a paper towel before I put them in the center of the cookie. I prepared them in advance. You would not have time to wipe each one before the cookies cooled off. My husband thought that this was very unnecessary and that I was wasting my time. So I did a little test. His engineering brain is usually right, but not always when it comes to BAKING! That’s my area. I left 3 kisses gray and put them in the center of the cookies like all the rest. I was right! I did need to take the time to polish them if I wanted them to be picture perfect. Oh, sometimes it is hard being me.

Special Dark Chocolate Kisses
1-16 ½ oz. package refrigerated chocolate chip cookie dough (or half of the Toll House Recipe)
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2/3 cup chocolate flavor sprinkles
2 tab. Milk
40 Special Dark or dark chocolate kisses, unwrapped

Preheat oven to 375. Lightly grease a cookie sheet; set aside. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine cookie dough and cocoa powder. Seal bag; knead with your hands until dough is well mixed. Remove dough from bag.
Place chocolate sprinkles in a small bowl. Place milk in another small bowl. Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Dip balls in milk to moisten, then roll balls in chocolate sprinkles to coat. Place balls 2 inches apart on prepared cookie sheet.
Bake in a preheated oven for 8 minutes or until edges are firm. Immediately press a chocolate kiss into center of each cookie. Transfer cookies to a wire rack; let cool. Yields 40 cookies.

No comments: