Friday, December 12, 2008

Sopaipilla Cheesecake

Just another 2 for 1 deal day at the Baking Redhead. Sopaipilla Cheesecake and Chocolate Crinkles.
Last night, I had a family dinner to attend and my job was to bring a dessert. I know, so hard to imagine. I needed a quick dessert that was a little different from oh, I don't know say, Chocolate Cake. I thought of shortgirl’s recipe. I have made this a couple of times in years past, but I had forgotten the taste. The dessert came together very fast and was in and out of the oven in no time at all. I took the pan and put it in a tray for easy transport and covered it with foil. Dinner was not served promptly, so the dish had to sit and stay warm. Here is my BIG warning. Don’t tightly cover this with foil right out of the oven and let it sit for an hour or two. BIG mistake. Don’t get me wrong, it was still wonderful, but it lost its crunchy topping of buttery, sugary, cinnamony, crescent roll goodness. It was a bit chewy. It reminded me of the time a few years ago when I made gingerbread. I took the cake pan out of the oven and plopped it on a towel and went to church. What a terrible mistake I had made. The gingerbread was a gooey, soggy, mess because the towel that it had been sitting on trapped the heat. So, that is when I went out and bought some really good wire cooling racks. Problem solved.
Give this recipe a try. You will love the smooth creaminess of the cheesecake topped off with the sugary crunch of the buttery pastry.
Chocolate Crinkles. This is one of the cookies that I made for our Cookie Exchange last week. I found the recipe in the Better Homes and Gardens Special Edition Cookie Magazine. I thought they looked festive and I really loved the name. Ranks right up there with Fudge Puddles. Isn’t that the cutest? I don’t make fudgy things much, but I might have to make those just because it is fun to say. To me, it was a dark chocolate brownie bite topped with powdered sugar. Not very sweet, but still enjoyable. Simple to make and the recipe made so many that I finally just stopped assembling them before the dough was gone.


Sopaipilla Cheesecake
By shortgirl
2 pkgs. Pillsbury original crescent rolls
2 (8 oz.) boxes cream cheese
1 1/2 cups sugar, divided
1 tsp vanilla
1 stick butter, melted
Cinnamon

Mix cream cheese, 1 cup of sugar, and vanilla. Spread 1 package of crescent rolls in a 9x13-inch pan. Spread cream cheese mixture on top of rolls. Spread 2nd package of crescent rolls over cream cheese mixture. Mix melted butter and ½ sugar and pour over top layer of rolls. Sprinkle with cinnamon. Bake for 30 minutes at 350.

No comments: