Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Southern Chocolate Pecan Pie

Here is something else for your Thanksgiving table.
Tonight, our church had its annual Thanksgiving Stew Supper. All you have to do to attend is to bring either pie or cornbread. Of course I picked a pie. I have brought this pie for several years now, but at first I did not think it was such a winner. I took my Dad’s favorite Pecan Pie recipe and added chocolate to it. The first time I made this I did not take it because I thought that it had too much of a medicinal taste to it. So I made a different pie and left this one at home. Some people came by the house that night and saw the pie on the counter and asked if they could have some of it. I told them to eat it at their own risk because it was just not up to my standards. They went nuts over it and said that it was even better than the pie I took. So, I tried another bite. You know, they were right. I think I like this pie more room temperature than super hot. How do you like yours?
Southern Chocolate Pecan Pie
1 cup sugar
3 eggs
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1/2 cup evaporated milk
1 Tab vanilla
1 ¼ cup pecans
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate morsels
1 pie shell (I use Marie Callenders Deep Dish Pie Shell)

In mixing bowl, slightly beat eggs and sugar, corn syrup, evap. milk and vanilla. Blend well. Stir in pecans and chocolate morsels. Pour into unbaked 9 pie shell. Bake in 400 degree oven for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 and bake an additional 30 to 40 minutes or until filing is puffed in center and is well browned. Let pie cool.

No comments: