Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Pumpkin Dip

So just where have I been? I know, it is not like me to be gone for a week but life got in the way. About this time each year I head up two ministry projects at my church. The first one is called Samaritan’s Purse: Operation Christmas Child. This organization collects gift-filled shoeboxes from all over the United States and 9 other countries to give to children in over 100 disadvantaged nations who would otherwise never receive anything for Christmas. My group collected 92 boxes this year which seems small in comparison to the 7.6 million that are collected annually. However, I simply look at it as 92 more smiling faces.
My second project is happening this week and it involves food. This tradition actually started back in high school when a group of youth got together at church to prepare Thanksgiving meals for the elderly. I enjoyed this opportunity so much that I wanted to do it again as an adult. For several years now, a group of us from our Sunday School class do this same project, however we give our meals to families who are in need in our city. A simple, basic, traditional menu cooked as a group, and delivered in teams to those who might not have Thanksgiving this year.
Since my week is a bit hectic, I will share with you someone else’s work. My cousin Jill sent this recipe to me recently that she makes for Thanksgiving. I can just imagine that it tastes like a wonderful pumpkin pie with a hint of orange. I thought that it was extremely creative and showed great attention to detail to take the time to carve out a pumpkin in the shape of a turkey as a serving dish. If you are looking for a last minute treat you might give this one a try.
Jill's Pumpkin dip
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
2 cups confectioners' sugar
1 (15 ounce) can solid pack pumpkin
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
1 teaspoon frozen orange juice concentrate
In a medium bowl, blend cream cheese and confectioners' sugar until smooth. Gradually mix in the pumpkin. Stir in the cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, and orange juice until smooth and well blended. Chill and serve with gingersnap cookies.

No comments: