Monday, October 6, 2008

Callie's Sock-It-To-Me Cake

When I was growing up, there was a man in our church who loved to make children’s toys out of wood. I was the recipient of many alphabet puzzles, counting puzzles, a puzzle made out of my name, and wooden bracelets. His wife was a very tiny woman who enjoyed cooking and baking. I do recall listening to my Mimi on the phone one day with another lady from our church talking about a recipe. She told the lady that it was one of Callie's recipes so it had to be good. Today's recipe is one I found of hers last week.
I followed the recipe almost exactly and had two problems. The first problem was my fault. I did not chop my pecans enough. I buy pecans that are almost halves because you can take away but you can't add too. That is my theory. My second problem was the filling, which she called, “icing". I think that you should make it as directed and before you put it in the oven poke the batter with a knife to swirl the filling. Otherwise, you have a big tunnel of filling in the center which is only good in the case of a Tunnel of Fudge Cake or when you have cream cheese in the center, not nuts and cinnamon. So that would be my suggestion. I have a feeling that it was left out of the recipe by mistake. Other than those items I found it to be very easy to make. The glaze was beautiful and looked very much like snow covered mountains. I think this would be great wrapped up as a gift for Christmas or at a bake sale.

Callie’s Sock-It-To-Me Cake
½ cup oil
¼ cup water
4 eggs
1 yellow cake mix
8 oz. sour cream
¼ cup sugar
“Icing”
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 Tbsp. cinnamon
¾ cup nuts, chopped
Glaze:
2 cups powdered sugar
4 tsp. milk
Mix oil, water, and eggs. Add other ingredients. Mix well. Pour 2/3 of batter into a greased bundt pan.
Mix “icing”. Pour on top of cake mix. Pour remaining cake mix on top. (I would swirl with a knife just a little.) Bake at 375 degrees for 40 minutes.
Mix glaze. Spoon on top of cake while hot. Cool until glaze has hardened.

No comments: