Thursday, October 2, 2008

Lemon Crème Bars

Today’s recipe is one that I forgot to post from Sunday that I made for church. I found this off of the Betty Crocker website, and it again uses those packaged cookie mixes. I have used so many of them lately that one would think I had stock in the company. I don’t. I did read that Campbell Soup is one of the only stocks that has gone up in recent days. I have always heard that people eat a lot of soup when things are down. Soup makes me sad, so I do not eat it very often.
As I’m gearing up to watch the debate tonight, I think I will need a nice treat. First, I should tell you about this one. Very simple to make. The most difficult part of this dessert was squeezing the lemons, which took 3 small ones by the way. People in Sunday School have started trying to guess the ingredients in my baked goods. This week they were not so good at their game. One thought it had coconut in it, and another was sure the filling was made with cream cheese. Both were wrong. I will say this, given the types of desserts I make they would normally be correct. I will give them that. That’s all I will give them. Funny how this recipe took on so many different flavors.
I thought it tasted like a Key Lime Pie with a lot of crust. Generally, a Key Lime Pie will have a 90/10 filling to crust ratio. In this dessert, I would say the ratio would be 60/40 crust to filling. The crust had great texture with a caramel brown sugar flavor, and the filling was very lemony and thick. A little tricky to cut right out of the refrigerator, so be careful. I usually tell people that I’m stouter than I look, but I think I pulled a muscle doing this. Oh, well, there goes my image.

Lemon Crème Bars
1/2 cup cold butter
1 pouch (1 lb 1.5 oz) Betty Crocker® oatmeal cookie mix
1 egg
1 can (14 oz) sweetened condensed milk (not evaporated)
2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
1/4 cup lemon juice
1. Heat oven to 350°F. Spray bottom of 8-inch square pan with cooking spray.
2. In large bowl, cut butter into cookie mix, using fork or pastry blender. Stir in egg until mixture is crumbly. Press half of cookie mixture into bottom of pan; bake 15 minutes.
3. In small bowl, stir condensed milk, lemon peel and lemon juice until thick. Spread over baked crust. Crumble remaining cookie mixture over top. Bake about 25 minutes longer or until light golden brown. Refrigerate 30 minutes or until set. For bars, cut into 5 rows by 5 rows. Store covered in refrigerator.

No comments: