Friday, May 2, 2008

Oatmeal Cinnamon Chips Cookies

A few days ago I stumbled across some baking chips that I had never seen before at Target. We do not have a Target in our town so it is always a fun trip. Anyhoo, the chips are called Hershey’s Cinnamon Chips. Have you heard of these? I had no idea that they existed and just had to try them. The first thing that I wondered was if they were spicy like cinnamon candy. I found out my answer the next day. No, they are not spicy. Imagine taking a mixture of cinnamon and sugar and somehow melting it into the shape of a chip. They are like sweet pops of cinnamon sugar. I chose to make one of the recipes off the bag because in my mind someone thought long and hard and tried a lot of recipe combinations to get just the perfect thing for me to try out their product. Plus, I had some McCann’s Irish Oats that I needed to try out also which made the oatmeal cookie recipe the right choice.
The dough was great to work with and very easy to scoop onto the pan. Of course, the raisins were omitted from my recipe because of the anti-raisin person in the house. The taste was good. It was chewy with a caramelized edge, moist but slightly crunchy. I do think that the raisins would have provided a good contrast in taste. The recipe did yield a lot of cookies like in the neighborhood of 5 dozen. A day later and they are still very soft. Oh and, the McCann’s Irish Oats were excellent! Highly recommend them to all of you oat lovers out there.


Oatmeal Cinnamon Chips Cookies
Ingredients:
1 cup (2 sticks) butter or margarine, softened
1 cup packed light brown sugar
1/3 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs
1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
2-1/2 cups quick-cooking oats
1-2/3 cups (10-oz. pkg.) HERSHEY'S Cinnamon Chips
3/4 cup raisins
Directions:1. Heat oven to 350°F.
2. Beat butter, brown sugar and granulated sugar in bowl until creamy. Add eggs and vanilla; beat well. Combine flour and baking soda; add to butter mixture, beating well. Stir in oats, cinnamon chips and raisins (batter will be stiff). Drop by heaping teaspoons unto ungreased cookie sheet.
3. Bake 10 to 12 minutes on until lightly browned. Cool 1 minute; remove from cookie sheet to wire rack. About 4 dozen.
BAR VARIATION: Spread batter into lightly greased 13x9x2-inch baking pan. Bake at 350°F. for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown. Cool; cut into bars. About 3 dozen bars.

No comments: