Sunday, May 4, 2008

Chocolate Chip Cookie Tart

I have not been baking for Sunday School lately due to our big move. Last night, late, I decided to change my non-baking streak by making something for the class. I came across this recipe from Taste of Home a few months ago and stuck it in my file for when I needed something easy. However, I have the ability to make things more difficult than necessary most of the time which to me can be a blessing or a curse.
The original recipe calls for a tube of cookie dough which you know me and ready-made cookie dough. *Powdered Egg Alert* No thanks. So I used my 2 cup chocolate chip cookie dough recipe and proceeded as written. It was a little tricky to get it smooth in the pan because I put a piece of round parchment in the bottom. My pan, I don’t know if they all this way, has tall textured bumps in the bottom and everything sticks even though it is non-stick. However, the parchment in the bottom is an excellent solution as an insurance policy for easy removal. The cookie does spread out while baking and seeks an even level.
Let’s talk taste. Honestly, I didn’t try it. How awful is that? I did not cut it at home and was not hungry for a cookie that early in the morning. But, no need to fear my husband told me all about it. It is your basic chocolate chip cookie with a smooth cream cheese frosting, more of a filling. The peanut butter does not shine through it just aids in the smooth texture. The melted chocolate adds a crunch. Chocolate chips have a hardening agent in them to keep their shape. They will melt well but once they cool off they return to being hard. Everyone in class seemed to enjoy this recipe. Some got more than one piece and one person took the rest home with them. I think you could call it a winner!
Chocolate Chip Cookie Tart
1 tube (18 ounces) refrigerated chocolate chip cookie dough
OR, make your own cookie dough (2 cups):
1 1/8 cups all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
½ cup (1 stick) butter, softened
¼ c + 2 tab granulated sugar
¼ c + 2 tabs packed brown sugar
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
1 large egg
1 cup Semi-Sweet Chocolate Morsels
Topping:
1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
2 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
1 tablespoon butter or margarine, softened
2 cups confectioners' sugar
1/4 cup milk chocolate chips, melted
Directions: Press cookie dough onto the bottom of an ungreased 9-in. springform pan. Bake at 350° for 20-24 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. In a small mixing bowl, beat cream cheese, peanut butter and butter until smooth. Beat in confectioners' sugar. Remove sides of springform pan; place crust on a serving plate. Spread cream cheese mixture over crust to within 1/2 in. of edge. Drizzle with melted chocolate. Refrigerate for 1 hour or until set. Yield: 10-12 servings

No comments: