Wednesday, April 30, 2008

5 Layer Brownies

These really stick to your teeth! So I was looking at a few other food blogs the other day and came across an interesting one. There is a lady who is cooking with crockpots for an entire year. I don’t know her rules, but I know that she must use a crockpot everyday. She had a recipe for 5 Layer Brownies that looked very tasty so I thought I would give it a whirl in the oven. Not a crockpot fan. Didn’t grow up with them and have never been really successful with them unless I’m making cheese dip. I have found through the years that people either love them or hate them. You can always tell a big fan when you walk into their kitchen and they have one front and center. Mine is on my “lazy susan small appliance station” right now collecting dust.
So, my list of problems and solutions to this recipe: Okay, what size pan? Based on the amount of ingredients I went with an 8x8. What about the mix? Same thing, I used a normal size brownie mix, not the “family size.” (But, I guess you could, just increase the size of pan, amount of butter and dry toppings and cut down on the baking time.) What about the cooking time? I followed what it said on the box, well I kind of did. Mine cooked in 48 minutes. What about the toppings? I did not think hers had quite enough and I chose to increase them.
The taste? It is good. The brownie is very gooey and the sweetened condensed milk is like caramel. The oats and coconut add great texture. This recipe is kind of like a Magic Cookie bar on top of a brownie. What does it look like in the pan? Glad you asked, not pretty. The sweetened condensed milk makes these awful looking bubbles, huge bubbles that turn brown and deflate after the baking is complete. However, if you get past that and cut them in such a way that the bubbles do not matter, well wonderful.

5 Layer Brownies
1 16 oz package of brownie mix
1/4 cup melted butter
1 egg
1/4 cup water
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1/3 cup oats (rolled or quick cooking)
1/3 cup coconut
1/3 cup nuts (pecans or walnuts)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease an 8x8 pan. In a large bowl, add melted butter to 1/4 cup of water, the egg, and the brownie mix. Stir until none of the powder is left dry; batter will be quite thick. Spread in prepared pan. Pour can of sweetened condensed milk over the top of brownie mixture. Cover milk with a layer of oats, then coconut, and nuts. Bake for 45-50 minutes.

No comments: