Monday, April 28, 2008

German Chocolate-Pecan Pie

Open a box, unpack a box, say to self, “where did that come from?” Repeat. Decorate for 2 year old birthday party, have party, flood bathroom, and set cooktop on fire. That is a little glimpse into my life the last 8 days. So if you were wondering if I would be back here well, I guess I’m back!
Today’s recipe is amazingly enough not my first thing to bake in my new kitchen. It is, let’s see, my third thing. I had to bake for the birthday party of course. Double ovens are WONDERFUL!!! I was able to bake all five layers of her cake at one time. It was great.
Back to today’s recipe, I chose it because of one key word, “whisk.” I love to whisk. It is easy and fun and I have a good whisk. My whisk is not anything special mind you, I just got tired of having to keep buying more whisks because they kept rusting on me. I don’t have one that has a ball inside of the head. Have you seen those? I always wondered if they were easy to clean or if the ball made things get out of control or if the ball was even worth the added expense? I wonder too much. Anyhoo, since life is still busy I wanted something easy, and this was very easy to make. Measure and dump into a bowl, whisk and dump into a pie crust.
I got the recipe out of a Southern Living last year and it was on the same page as another pie I made a month or two ago. You might remember the Pecan Cheesecake Pie. Yummy. So I was hoping this too would be just as good or better. There is coconut in this pie so beware if you anti-coconut. If you are I feel very sorry for you. That means you have missed out not only on this pie but German Chocolate Cake too. I grew up on my Mimi's German Chocolate Cake. Wow, was that good. I need to get that recipe and make it someday.
Things to note: Remember use the blue label Karo syrup not the pinkish red. Also, if you spray the inside of your measuring cup before putting the Karo in it will come out of the cup much easier. Don't forget to put your pie on the bottom rack. I have more rack options on my new oven so today's recipe was a gamble. I'm such a risk taker.
What does it taste like? Well, a German Chocolate flavored pecan pie. It has all the elements of a pecan pie with the German chocolate flavor built in and coconut for texture. This was so much easier than another pie I make like this one. I think I will make this again, however I would like to try it again after my tastebuds heal from the burns. Make sure you let it cool a whole hour before you eat a bite.

German Chocolate-Pecan Pie
Ingredients
1/2 (15-oz.) package refrigerated piecrusts
3 large eggs
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup dark corn syrup
1/4 cup butter, melted
1 tablespoon cocoa
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 cups coarsely chopped pecans
1/2 cup sweetened flaked coconut
Preparation
1. Fit piecrust into a 9-inch pie plate according to package directions. Fold edges under, and crimp.
2. Whisk together eggs and next 6 ingredients until thoroughly blended. Stir in pecans and coconut. Pour mixture into piecrust; place pie on a baking sheet.
3. Bake at 350° on lowest oven rack 50 minutes or until pie is set. Cool on a wire rack 1 hour or until completely cool. Yields 8 servings.

No comments: