Thursday, March 6, 2008

Quick Granola Bars

Another recipe I wanted to try this week was an easy Granola Bar. If you had asked me on the street if I liked oats or granola I would have told you no. However, when I found this recipe from Recipezaar, I looked in our pantry and found that we have 3 different kinds of oats, two kinds of instant oatmeal, 2 kinds of granola bars, and oatmeal cookies. So I guess I do like oats. I have had a cold all week so I thought in some strange way granola sounded healthier than Chocolate Chip Cream Cheese Bars, which is on the list to make soon. Can’t wait to try.
Things to note: Make sure you grease your pan well. I think that is another reason why I don’t make more granola. It is so sticky and I don’t like scraping pans. I used some of the leftover butter to really grease the pan, but make sure you also run a knife along the edge. Also, 3/8 cup is just another way of noting 6 tablespoons. I don’t know why they didn’t just state that in the recipe. I didn’t because I wanted to make sure you read my ramblings. Do not try these while they are hot. They taste awful. However, once they are cool they become much more flavorful and sweet.


Quick Granola Bars
2 ½ cups quick oats or rolled oats
½ cup brown sugar, firmly packed
3/8 cup butter, melted
¼ cup corn syrup or honey
½ teaspoon vanilla
½ cup chocolate chips or butterscotch chips (either is optional)

Preheat oven to 350.
Combine ingredients and mix well.
Press firmly into well-greased 9"X9" pan.
Bake 22-25 minutes until golden & bubbly. Cool completely and cut into bars.

No comments: