Friday, March 7, 2008

Easy Cinnamon Bread Pudding 2

I am revisiting the Bread Pudding recipe from this week. Cinnamon Bread Pudding Project 2008! If you will recall I told you that I was taking this on to find the proper ingredients and cooking time to improve on the original recipe. Well, I changed a lot. A whole lot of ingredients. Maybe too much. Wait, this is my project. I made up the rules and they clearly state that I can do whatever it takes to improve this recipe. Ah, I'm such an only child. Here, take a look if you are still with me.

  • I decided to ditch the cook & serve pudding because it was only being used as a binder instead of eggs.
  • For flavor, I added the two kinds of sugar with the cinnamon and vanilla.
  • The butter, what is a dessert without a little bit of butter. (habit)
  • Decreased the cooking time because I decreased the amount of liquid.

Results: This was a lot better. Much more flavorful, less soggy, overall good. A little eggy, however. I don't think that I would decrease a whole egg, but just change it to two whole eggs and maybe two egg whites. I do like a sauce on mine which if I was going the simple route I would just melt some vanilla ice cream and pour over it or make a vanilla powder sugar glaze. Some chopped nuts would be good in this dessert and maybe some nutmeg. Interesting. So am I finished with this project so soon? Surely not.


Cinnamon Bread Pudding 2
7 slices cinnamon swirl bread(half a loaf)
2 tablespoons butter, melted
3 eggs, beaten
2 cups milk
1/2 cup white sugar
¼ cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Break bread into small pieces into an 8 inch square baking pan. Drizzle melted butter over bread. In a medium mixing bowl, combine eggs, milk, sugars, cinnamon, and vanilla. Beat until well mixed. Pour over bread, and lightly push down with a fork until bread is covered and soaking up the egg mixture.
Bake in the preheated oven for 45 minutes, or until the top springs back when lightly tapped.

No comments: