Saturday, March 1, 2008

Peanut Butter Chocolate Bars

Happy Peanut Butter Lover's Day!
Many recipes include peanut butter so today was not as challenging as other food holidays like Mint Chocolate Chip day as an example. The only problem was that my time was limited. There were many things to do so I picked an easy one.
I found this in our church’s 1994 cookbook. It is a very simple recipe that needed a lot more explanation. Which I know sounds odd if it was so easy. Therefore, I rewrote the directions the way I would make this bar. It tasted a lot like a peanut butter graham cracker crust with chocolate on top. I did enjoy the taste, but my mind got to wondering on how I could improve it by topping the crust with other things besides just chocolate. A few ideas included a chocolate cheesecake layer or maybe a layer of gooey peanut butter filling like the kind in peanut butter pies. Then you would have a Peanut Butter Pie Bar, very interesting.
Things to think about for another time.
One final note, this recipe divided in half very nicely. I cut the ingredients in half and made it in an 8x8 pan.

Peanut Butter Chocolate Bars
2 sticks of butter, melted
1 lb powdered sugar
1 c peanut butter
2 c. graham cracker crumbs
1 (12 oz) package milk chocolate chips

Melt butter in a medium size pan on the stove. Once it is melted, add powdered sugar, peanut butter, and the graham cracker crumbs to the pan and stir until heated through. (1-2 minutes) Pour mixture into a large bowl and beat on medium speed until well mixed. Press mixture onto the bottom of a greased 9x13 pan. Melt chocolate chips in a bowl in the microwave in 30 second intervals stirring in between. Spread melted chocolate over crust. Cool and cut into bars.

No comments: