Friday, February 29, 2008

Spicy Sour Cream Cookies

Happy Leap Year! I know I bet you came here today to see if I had a Leap Year dessert due to my love of the crazy food holiday calendar. Sadly, I must confess that I do not. I did look however; do I at least get credit for that? Speaking of the calendar, how’s that for a cheesy morning talk show styled segway, I would like to update you on our house. For those that don’t know and others that might care, we have been building a house since August of 2007. We have been living in a crazy shaped rent house for 61 days, and BabyGirl’s birthday is in 42 days. Which in my mind is the deadline for the house to be finish; IF ANYONE OUT THERE WHO IS BUILDING ON OUR HOUSE WOULD LIKE TO KNOW. (I’m learning patience and how to be flexible.) I think it will be finished in time for her birthday since we finally got the brick put on the outside. *jumping up and down, cheering wildly*
Back to food. So, since it is leap year and I couldn't find a themed dessert to celebrate; I thought I would use a cake mix I meant to use at Christmas. If I were a food purest, I would not use cake mixes. I have never claimed to be a purest or a foodie so I will use what I like, I guess. I do use butter instead of margarine and occasionally fruit instead of food coloring but that is about as pure as I get. I do have recipes for cake mixes and I will share those at another time. Today’s recipe came from where else, the Favorite Brand Name Cookie Collection.*Applause* These cookies were so cute. Like little tuffets for Miss Muffet. Very cake like and incredibly moist. Once I tasted one I thought that I should have made these for Sunday School because they had a Breakfast, Brunchy, quality to them. Not really very sweet, and the nuts and spices gave them a comfort food feeling that I like in the mornings. I did make a half hearted effort in an icing for them, but I didn’t like it. They are fine by themselves. Oh and don't forget to grease your cookie sheets, when is the last time you did that? I had to read that part twice.
So I’m ready now to leap into March and say goodbye to February, because 42 days from now I hope to be blogging from our new location.
Patience, Patience.
Look, Hot Pink! Just trying to spice things up a bit. Get it spice, Spicy Sour Cream Cookies. I need to get out more.

Spicy Sour Cream Cookies
1 package Spice Cake Mix
1 cup dairy sour cream
1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
¼ cup butter or margarine, softened
1 egg

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease cookie sheets.
Combine cake mix, sour cream, nuts, butter, and egg in a large bowl. Mix at low speed with electric mixer until blended.
Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls (or use cookie scoop) onto cookie sheets. Bake for 9-11 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool 2 minutes on cookie sheets. Remove to cooling racks. Yields 3-4 dozen.

No comments: