Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Mimi's Carrot Cake

Please forgive me for not posting yesterday. I saw that several stopped by, but I was a bit under the weather. My rule is no baking and sharing if someone is sick because sharing germs is no fun. However, today is a new day and things are better.
I chose to do my duty as an American living in the Great State of Texas; I went and voted this morning at the crack of dawn. When I got home I received a call from one of the “Funeral Food Ladies” at church. Here in the South food equals love and funerals require extra love, or food. Well lots of both. My name comes around on the list to make food for funerals about twice a year, and I usually get assigned boring green beans. Not today, I got a CAKE!!! Yea!!! *Hallelujah chorus plays in the background* I’ve never been assigned a cake before. Oh, what pressure. So, I decided to make what I had honestly planned on making this week, my Mimi’s Carrot Cake. Mimi, my grandmother, made the most wonderful carrot cakes for people. I always requested that cake on my birthday and still do even though she has retired from baking. The secret to her cakes were, keep them simple and have a great frosting. No pineapple, no raisins. Pineapple belongs in a Hummingbird Cake and raisins, well they just don’t belong in baked goods in this house. Hey, not my rule. I would put them in Bread Pudding or Cinnamon Rolls if I could.
I have talked before about my Cream Cheese Frosting recipe that is so good. Just to let you know the one stated in the recipe below is not it. This is my Mimi's Cream Cheese frosting recipe. Still wonderful. I will save mine for another time.
The most difficult part about this cake is grating the carrots. Make sure that your cake layers are completely cooled or you will have a mess.

Mimi's Carrot Cake
Ingredients:
For the cake:
2 c. flour
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1 ½ c. vegetable oil
4 eggs
2 c. sugar
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 c. chopped pecans
3 c. grated carrots
For the icing:
1 16 oz box of powered sugar
½ stick of butter
1 8 oz pkg cream cheese
1 c. chopped pecans
1 tsp vanilla
Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Mix together flour, baking soda, salt, oil, eggs, sugar, cinnamon, and pecans in a large bowl. Blend carrots into the mixture. Pour evenly into greased and floured baking pans. (3-8 inch pans)Bake for 35 minutes or until done.
For icing, mix sugar, butter, and cream cheese until smooth. Add nuts and vanilla. Spread on top and between layers when cake has completely cooled and then refrigerate.

No comments: