Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Reese's Chewy Chocolate Cookie Bars

I really don’t know why I decided to bake today with 92 boxes of Girl Scout Cookies in the house. I’m going into a Samoas coma or perhaps it is Trefoils, or Tagalongs. Oh, I don’t know. I have tried them all. We order cookies before I started baking on a daily basis, plus we did not order any last year so we made up for it this year. I hope I don’t go into shock from all the sugar. Will someone, please give me some protein?
Ah, enough about me, lets get on with today’s business. We have another food holiday coming up this weekend, but I’m not going to tell you what it is just yet. Therefore, I have been looking for recipes to celebrate. This time I found more than one, and decided to make it today. The ingredients are a lot like Monday’s cookie with an add-in. I was a bit lazy and decided to make it into a bar instead of dropping cookies on a pan. The batter is very, very thick which made spreading a challenge. However, with 2 ½ sticks of butter there is no need to worry about it spreading evenly while it bakes. Making this as a bar, it taste a lot like a thin brownie with peanut butter swirled throughout. This would be good for a crowd and don’t forget the milk!
Reese's Chewy Chocolate Cookie Bars
Ingredients:
2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1-1/4 cups (2-1/2 sticks) butter or margarine, softened
2 cups sugar
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1-2/3 cups (10-oz. pkg.) REESE'S Peanut Butter Chips
Directions:
1. Heat oven to 350°F. Stir together flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt; set aside.
2. Beat butter and sugar in large bowl with mixer until fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla; beat well. Gradually add flour mixture, beating well. Stir in peanut butter chips. Drop by rounded teaspoons onto ungreased cookie sheet.
3. Bake 8 to 9 minutes. (Do not overbake; cookies will be soft. They will puff while baking and flatten while cooling.) Cool slightly; remove from cookie sheet to wire rack. Cool completely. About 4-1/2 dozen cookies.

PAN RECIPE: Spread batter in greased 15-1/2x10-1/2x1-inch jelly-roll pan. Bake at 350°F 20 minutes or until set. Cool completely in pan on wire rack; cut into bars. About 4 dozen bars.

No comments: