Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Cherry Crunch Cake

Here is one that I got out of a magazine and modified it slightly. At first glance, you might be saying, “isn’t this just an old Dump Cake.” Well, I did until I made it and found that it has way more ingredients that really enhance the taste. I have made this twice and the first time I started taking stuff out of the pantry and noticed that I had made the cake without really concentrating on what I was doing.
I think the Dump Cake gets a bad wrap. Number 1, it is simple so somehow even if something taste good, if a lot of effort was not put into it people turn their nose up to it. Silly. Number 2, the name is horrendous. I mean, it fits the recipe, but really someone could have worked a little bit harder and come up with something, I guess like what we have in today’s post.
I love the fact that you can pick a fruit to use and cherry seems to be a family favorite. Blueberry was in the original recipe, but peach would be tasty too. The nuts on top give it a great crunch and set it apart from the old recipe. Very cobbler like and quite a speedy recipe to make. I did have to bake mine for about 55 minutes. I would like to have gone a whole hour but my nuts were burning! What a problem.


Cherry Crunch Cake
1 (20 ounce) can crushed pineapple in juice
1 (21 ounce) can pie filling*
1 (18 1/4 ounce) box butter recipe cake mix
1 cup chopped pecans
3/4 cup butter, melted
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Pour pineapple with juice into a 9 x 13" pan. Spread evenly over the bottom. Spoon pie filling on top evenly. Sprinkle dry cake mix and level with a fork. Sprinkle pecans over the cake mix. Drizzle with melted butter. Bake 50-55 minutes until browned and bubbly.
*You may also substitute strawberries, blackberries, blueberries, cherries, peaches or raspberries.

No comments: