Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Honey Bun Cake

I love to iron. (Yes, getting out more would help this, and please don’t send me your clothes.) I love my iron. I love my built-in-the-wall, hung to my height, ironing board. I find ironing to be very therapeutic, and it is one of the only things in my life that I can block out everything else and concentrate on one thing. However, today I found that ironing has become hazardous to my health. My mind forgets that I’m not the size I once was and now I must not stand so close to my ironing board. You see, I ironed myself today. With my sleeping child in the next room I had to quietly complain to myself but no major harm was done. It was just what I needed, one more battle scar. What does this have to do with Honey Bun Cake? Nothing. So I will move on now.
I have made this cake before, but in a chocolate version and found it to be a bit dry. Not this cake. With 16 oz of sour cream and 4 eggs, there is no way! Due to those ingredients, I was a little fearful that it was going to be too custard like, and to me it was a little eggy on the start but was much better when just slightly warm instead of hot out of the oven. I did double the amount of glaze but would use the recipe given if making this in a bundt pan. The bake time was perfect. Exactly 45 minutes and the job was done. The filling was very sweet and brown sugary and a good ratio to the amount of cake. Great for a brunch or potluck.

Honey Bun Cake
1(18.25 ounce) box yellow cake mix
1/2 cup vegetable oil
4 eggs
1 (16 ounce) container sour cream
1 cup brown sugar
4 teaspoons cinnamon
1 cup confectioners' sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 to 3 teaspoons hot water
Mix cake mix, oil, eggs and sour cream and pour into a greased 9 x 13-inch glass baking pan. Pour one-half mixture into cake pan.Mix brown sugar and cinnamon and spread evenly across batter. Pour other half batter on top and bake at 350 degrees F for 45 minutes to one hour. (Check after 45 minutes - middle should begin to pass the wooden pick test.)Mix confectioners' sugar, vanilla extract and 1 tablespoon warm water, adding more water if necessary to make glaze thin enough to spread on warm cake.

No comments: