Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Kittencal's Cinnamon Flop

What a week this has been. BabyGirl had two milestones, I did not bake on a holiday, there was a hurricane, and the Republicans just became interesting. Wait, I’m not political(well, maybe a little). Never supposed to eat and talk politics. Hmmm, wonder if Sarah has a cookie recipe?
Anyhoo, moving on to what I made for Sunday morning. I was going through some recipes in my mind but none of them I liked. I decided to go through my file instead, and came across this cake I found last week on recipezaar.com. The only thing that attracted me to this one, at first, was the name. It seemed fun to say. Then the ingredients looked good. There are a lot of options here so you first must decide how you want to go about this one. I decided to make a half of a recipe of cake in a 9 inch pan with all of the topping and I baked it for 30 minutes. I later read that I could have added things such as fruit, chocolate chips, etc. Very versatile recipe.
The topping is really misleading. It sinks. I used all the topping on half of a batch of batter so my topping sunk to the bottom and made an upside down cake. If I had used half of a recipe of topping it would have sunk to the middle of the cake. I think. My opinion is based on a few photos I saw. I waited 10 minutes before I flipped the pan and plated the cake. A lot of the topping stuck to the bottom of the pan and I had to scrape it off and put it back onto the cake. This was all a risk because I did not want to wait too long and have all the topping stick to the pan.
Also, I used one whole egg. I have a hard time halving an egg. However, if you would like to do so it equals about 2 tablespoons. Now, I thought the cake was a little eggy. The people in Sunday School, number 1, were not clear on this phrase and number 2, I did not have a good definition. It was a little heavy, seemed like it had a scrambled egg in the batter. But, that was my fault, I should have halved the egg.
In a nutshell, the things I personally thought were wrong with the recipe were my fault. If I would have used the correct amount of topping and halved the egg it would have been as Kittencal intended it to be. A moist coffeecake with a gooey brown sugary, nutty center.


Kittencal's Cinnamon Flop
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/4 cups sugar (add in more for a sweeter taste)
1 1/4 cups milk or half-and-half
1-2 teaspoon vanilla (optional) or almond extract (optional)
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 pinch salt
1 large egg (optional; will give it a cake like texture)
TOPPING
1/2 cup brown sugar, more if desired
1-2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 cup melted butter
chopped walnuts (optional) or pecans (optional)

Set oven to 350 degrees F.
Prepare a greased 13 x 9-inch baking dish, or two 8 or 9-inch round cake pans (although the batter will seem like it will fit into only one 8 or 9-inch pan, this flop rises very high and will run over the sides if baked in just one pan).
In a bowl mix the 2 cups flour, 1-1/4 cups white sugar, milk, vanilla or almond extract, baking powder, pinch of salt and egg (if using) until just combined careful not to overmix. Pour into prepared baking pan/s.
Generously spread brown sugar and cinnamon on top.
If desired sprinkle chopped walnuts or pecans over top.
Drizzle melted butter over top.
Bake for about 20-25 minutes for 8 or 9-inch round cake pan, and about 30 minutes for a 13 x 9-inch

No comments: