Friday, September 19, 2008

Chocolate No Bake Candy

When I was growing up my Mimi made two kinds of Chocolate No Bake treats. The first one was called Cathedral Windows. I’m sure you have heard of them. They are made of chocolate, pecans, and colored mini marshmallows rolled into logs, chilled, and cut just before serving. Sometimes they are referred to as Stained Glass Windows but not to be confused with Stained Glass Cookies which are shortbread with melted hard candies in the center.
Back to my story. Mimi would only make the Cathedral Windows at Christmas because she said that it was the only time of year you could buy colored marshmallows. What?!?! Hard to believe, but it works as an excuse for a seven year old.
The second treat is everyone’s favorite and a staple in church cookbooks, the No Bake Cookie. Chocolate, Peanut Butter, Oatmeal, Butter, etc. Very tasty too. When I was around eight years old it was somehow over looked that I did not eat dinner one night, but instead only ate a rather large amount of this particular cookie and great misfortune soon followed. Needless to say, I did not partake of this treat for a long, long, time.
This all brings me to today’s recipe. The Chocolate No Bake Candy. It is much like the Chocolate No Bake cookie but a little different. Easy in that you heat it on the stovetop and simply spread it in a baking dish. The taste is very different to me. If you are a lover of dark chocolate and nuts, my, my, this is the recipe for you. I myself was thinking with every bite that it needed peanut butter. Maybe something as small as 3 to 4 tablespoons would have made a difference.
Hmmm. Cathedral Windows sound good. Guess I will just have to wait until Christmas.


Chocolate No Bake Candy
Ingredients:
3 cups miniature marshmallows (about half of 10 1/2 ounce package)
1 cup (6 ounce package) semisweet chocolate chips
1/3 cup butter
2 cups quick or old fashioned rolled oats
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla or rum extract
1/4 cup finely chopped pecans
Preparation:
In saucepan over low heat, melt marshmallows, chocolate chips, and butter, stirring frequently, until smooth. Stir in oats and flavoring. Spread mixture into a buttered 8-inch square pan; sprinkle with the chopped pecans. Chill thoroughly until set.Store candy in a cool dry place in covered container.

No comments: