Monday, July 7, 2008

Coconut Squares

We had a very busy weekend with the holiday and the enormous Family Reunion. BabyGirl learned what it was like to watch fireworks in her backyard, run through a water sprinkler, and play in a kiddy pool with her Daddy cause Momma can’t swim. Good times.
Well, I know I promised a non-dessert today but I will get to that at another time. Today’s recipe came from the 1972 Park Street Baptist Church WMU Cookbook. Lots of goodies in this book, and I have made a few things in the past. Anyhoo, I had coconut starting to fill up my pantry so I thought I should use some of it today.
I made a few adjustments for my taste. I started off by dividing the recipe in half and baking it in an 8 inch square Pyrex pan. I cut the baking time down to 18 minutes. I used butter instead of shortening. Why? I have no idea. I like butter. However, since I have never had this dessert it was a lot like playing with fire changing such an important ingredient. If I were to make this again I would use the Crisco to make a comparison between the two and I think the Crisco would win.
The taste was great. Very, very gooey. Almost praline like. Buttery, nutty, brown sugary goodness. The coconut does not standout nor is it overpowering. This dessert is like a very gooey brown sugar brownie with the extra added textures of nuts and coconut.
Coconut Squares
½ cup shortening (melted)
2 cups brown sugar
2 eggs
Mix well and add:
1 cup flour
1 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
1 can or 1 ½ cups coconut
¾ cup nuts, chopped

Mix well and bake in greased 9x13 pan at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Do not over bake. Cool and cut into squares.

No comments: