Friday, July 25, 2008

Banana Cake

A few weeks ago a cookbook showed up in my garage. I think I know where it came from, but it is still a little odd to come home and a cookbook just appears. So I put it on my shelf and thought I would look through it today and make something interesting. Well the interesting thing about this recipe is number 1, it was a cookie recipe, and number 2, the book was called Christmas Cookies. It must be Christmas in July around here.
As you can see, I did not make cookies, I made a cake. What? The original recipe was called Banana Cake Cookies. I have a feeling that the original, original recipe was a cake and someone got fancy one day to win a prize. You have your options here with this one.
  • Double the recipe and change the butter to shortening, bake for 12 minutes, and you have the cookie form that makes 3 ½ dozen.
  • Double the recipe below and bake it in a 9x13 or bundt for maybe 40-50 minutes and you have a larger cake suitable for a potluck.
  • Double the recipe below, bake it in two 8 inch pans and frost with a basic cream cheese icing and you have a layer cake that would be great for a family reunion or funeral.
Look at all these choices. This is a very flexible recipe, and I’m glad I found it on the floor of my garage. Aren’t you?
The taste. It is your basic banana cake or bread flavor with a bite. The bite is cloves. I love cloves. I love the smell and the taste in moderation. But, I do have a fear of them when in their whole form and stuck in oranges. I was deeply traumatized as a child with a whole bowl of those things. Don’t ask, long story.


Banana Cake
1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 eggs
1/2 cup mashed bananas (1 large banana)
1 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon ground cloves
¼ cup chopped pecans

Icing:
1 cup sifted confectioners' sugar
1 tablespoon butter, melted
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons milk
Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Cream butter; add brown sugar, beating well. Add eggs and banana; beat well.
Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and spices. Add to creamed mixture; mix well. Stir in pecans.
Pour into a greased 8 inch square pan and bake for 25-28 minutes. When cake is slightly warm, pour icing over the top and allow to setup before cutting.
To Make Icing: Combine confectioner's sugar, butter, and vanilla extract. Add milk to yield desired consistency (you may need to add a little extra), beating until smooth.

No comments: