Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Strawberry Ooey Gooey Butter Cake

In Paula Deen’s most recent magazine publication I found a new Gooey Butter Cake recipe. I love her butter cakes, and there are so many different varieties. I had some fresh strawberries in the refrigerator from our Mother’s Day celebration and thought why not make something with them before they expire. You only need about 10 or so for this dessert.
I also love the smell of strawberry cake mix. I think they should bottle the stuff. The recipe came together easily however; I had an unusually messy time with the powdered sugar. I keep big old bags of powdered sugar in the pantry instead of little boxes. The little box would have made this baking experience way more organized. If you too do not have any little boxes of sugar just use about 4 cups of packed powdered sugar instead of a box. But, try to be neater about it unlike me.
The taste is like a gooey strawberry cheesecake with a strawberry flavored crust instead of say a graham cracker crust. I think the strawberry flavor in the crust is a bit overpowering but still good. I’m not sure there would be enough strawberry flavor if you were to use a plain cake mix. I also thought the pretty pink color looked like visions of springtime in my kitchen.

Strawberry Ooey Gooey Butter Cake
Ingredients
1 (18 1/4 ounce) package strawberry cake mix
1/2 cup butter, softened
4 large egg, divided
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1 (16 ounce) box confectioners' sugar
3/4 cup chopped fresh strawberry
sweetened whipped cream, garnish
strawberry, garnish
Directions
Preheat oven to 350°. Lightly grease a 13x9-inch baking pan. In a large bowl, combine cake mix, butter, and 1 egg. Press mixture into bottom of prepared pan.
In a separate large bowl, beat cream cheese and 3 eggs at medium speed with an electric mixer until smooth. Gradually beat in confectioner’s sugar until combined. Stir in strawberries. Spoon mixture over cake mixture; bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until center is set. Cool completely; cut into squares to serve.
Garnish with sweetened whipped cream and strawberries, if desired.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Use the egg, or egg white? It said 4 eggs divided