Monday, May 12, 2008

Milky Way Brownies

When I was in elementary school my mother received a children’s cookbook from a friend to give to me. This friend was one of the co-authors of the book and the others were her sons. The intent of the book was to give children a simple guide to cooking. I vaguely remember this book, but from the looks of it I either used it to cook or my grandmother used it, definitely not my mother. I recently picked it up again to make some things out of it. Oh yes before I forget, the title of the book was, “The Latch-Key Kid Cookbook” in case you might have been given a copy. The names of the authors will not be revealed to protect the innocent or the guilty whichever might apply. Many things are from scratch and have very simple steps and few ingredients. Plus, they are very traditional. With that in mind, I took the Brownie recipe and added a frosting that I have used before on cookies.
You might recall the Chocolate Chip Milky Way Cookies from another post. I told you that I thought the frosting would be great on brownies and this weekend I gave it a try. Well, I’m not sure. I had a couple of bars on hand and when I went to open the wrappers and noticed that it said something to the effect of “more caramel than ever.” This was not on the wrapper the last time I used it. Well guess what, they aren't kidding. There was a lot more caramel. So much more that it altered the taste. I would like to give these brownies a whirl again if I could find some normal Milky Way bars; otherwise you just have Turtle Brownies.

Milky Way Brownies
2 cups sugar
1 ½ cup flour
½ cup cocoa
2 sticks of butter, melted
3 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
Pinch of salt

Preheat oven to 375 degree and grease a 9x13 pan. Melt butter in small bowl. Combine flour, sugar and cocoa, add butter, vanilla and eggs in a medium sized bowl. Stir all ingredients just until well blended. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake for 20-25 minutes.
Frosting:
2 Milky Way original candy bars, unwrapped and chopped
¼ cup unsalted butter
1 tab milk
1 cup powdered sugar
¼ cup chopped pecans
In a small saucepan, combine 2 of the chopped candy bars and butter. Cook over low heat, stirring frequently, until melted and smooth. Remove from heat. Add milk and powdered sugar. Beat until smooth. Spread frosting over brownies and top with chopped pecans.

No comments: