Thursday, May 22, 2008

Cinnamon Shortbread

This morning’s recipe was rather awful which always sets a tone for my day. Who wants to start their day being a failure? Note to self, “Swiss Chocolate” cake mix will not work if the recipe calls for “Devil’s Food” cake mix.” Ah, live and learn.
This afternoon I quickly looked through an old church cookbook and I found a recipe for shortbread. I enjoy shortbread from time to time when I’m tired of chocolate. This was very easy to make and had a good flavor. Keep in mind that shortbread is not very sweet. It is a lot like the inside of those Snowball Cookies, Wedding Cookies, Mexican Wedding Cookies, whatever you like to call them. The cinnamon and sugar top gave it a bit of a sweet crunch. I do not think I baked mine long enough because there was a little hint of dough, but still good. Traditional shortbread can be complicated. There are a lot of rules in mixing it up and using 10x sifted superfine sugar. You must then dock the dough a certain way with a fork in a complete circle in the center of the pan and make a certain number of marks coming out from the circle. Really, come on, who cares? Cut it with a knife and move on. You know I say this now, but some rainy day in October I will have a post titled, “Traditional Shortbread” with all the docking and the circles.
Cinnamon Shortbread
2 c flour
½ c confectioner’s sugar
1 c butter, softened
¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp baking powder
2 tab sugar
1 tsp cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350. Mix together flour, confectioner’s sugar, butter, salt and baking powder in medium bowl. Beat at medium speed until well mixed. Press into the bottom of a 9 inch square pan. Combine sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle over batter. Bake for 30-35 minutes. Cut into bars while still warm.

No comments: