Monday, May 19, 2008

Blackberry Dessert

A few days after we moved into our new house a couple of kind souls brought us dinner and dessert. I could go on and on about the wonderful dinner, but my topic is always the dessert. It was blackberry. At first I thought to myself that I was not going to like it because I typically do not go for tart fruit recipes. However, with age, I am learning to expand my horizons on this matter. As I have said many times in the past, I grew up on cake, not fruit pies or cobblers. My experience with them is limited to the past 10 years because of my husband's love of fruit. With all that said, for two days I picked the recipe apart each time I ate a serving. Asking for the recipe was just too easy. The challenge would have been over at that point.
Yesterday, I decided to make the recipe.
It was very simple....

Dump and spread one can of blackberry pie filling in the bottom of a greased 9x13 pan.
Dump and spread a 1/2 cup of sugar on top of the pie filling
Dump and spread one yellow cake mix on top of mixture
Cut up 1 1/2 sticks of butter into small pieces and place on top of cake mix.
Bake for 45-50 minutes at 350.
So if you have not figured it out by now, it is a version of a Dump Cake. I have never had one or made one. Can you believe that? Well, it is true. Do you know the painstaking research I did on this dessert. Do you realize that I almost made my own pie filling from frozen blackberries. Or, the fact that I tried to figure out all the ingredients to the cake mix. And then, all of a sudden I was looking through an old cookbook and started seeing all the ingredients I had figured out from my taste testing. *Hallelujah chorus played in my head.* Life is a song you know.
Bottom line, it was wonderful. Great fruit filling, buttery caramelized crust, quick and simple steps. It opened my eyes to a new taste.

No comments: