Friday, April 4, 2008

Chocolate Fudge Pie

Life has been hectic and I think it will continue that way for awhile. However, we had a Sunday School Class Fellowship to attend so I thought I would make a Chocolate Pie. I found this recipe on MyRecipes.com and it was originally from Cooking Light. Although, I cooked it heavy and you will see this by my notes within the recipe. If you are going to eat chocolate pie, I say go all out. Don't hold back, we're here for dessert, right?
The pie came together very nicely and it did not require a mixer. The filling was very soupy before it was baked which was surprising to me for some reason. I guess that was part of cooking light. After it baked, the sides pulled away from the crust and needed a topping to cover it. As for the taste, interesting. My fear was that it might be grainy. I took an informal survey to see if others thought it was grainy. However, since I was the baker and the one who was taking the poll I have no idea if the results were accurate. But, graininess did not seem to be an issue. It had a very dense quality, somewhat of a dark chocolate. It is not a chocolate cream pie and it is not a brownie pie, somewhere in between. The real whipped cream on top was an excellent marriage of the two flavors. I would never put cool whip on this pie.

Chocolate Fudge Pie
1/2 (15-ounce) package refrigerated pie dough (such as Pillsbury)
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
3/4 cup 2% reduced-fat milk (I used whole milk)
1/3 cup light-colored corn syrup
1 tablespoon butter, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 large eggs
2 large egg whites
1 cup frozen fat-free whipped topping, thawed ( I made sweetened whipped cream)
1/2 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa (optional)

Preheat oven to 350°.
Fit dough into a 9-inch pie plate. Fold edges under; flute. Place pie plate in freezer until ready to use.
Combine brown sugar, 1/2 cup cocoa, and flour in a large bowl. Combine milk and next 5 ingredients (milk through egg whites); stir with a whisk until well blended. Add milk mixture to brown sugar mixture; stir until combined.
Pour mixture into crust. Bake at 350° for 40 minutes or until just set. Cool on a wire rack to room temperature. Cover; chill at least 4 hours. Spread whipped topping evenly over filling; sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon cocoa, if desired.

No comments: