Friday, March 28, 2008

Shortbread Crust & Fried Pies

Today is my husband's birthday. Every year I ask him what he would like for his birthday dessert. Usually it is Banana Pudding or a pie of some kind. This year it was Key Lime Pie with a Shortbread Crust. I have several recipes for Key Lime but he wanted me to try a new one. I have never made a shortbread crust so I looked one up. I really enjoyed it, but it was a little tricky to shape in the pan. I tried just pressing it in with my fingers, but I thought to myself there had to be a better way. So I got out my pastry roller and rolled it on a floured board. That was a mistake; it fell apart when I picked it up. I went back to the original technique of pressing it into the 9 inch pie plate which worked okay. There was too much dough for the pan and it was hard to get it even. The whole time I was saying to myself that I had probably over worked the dough and it was going to be tough. I baked it up and poured my Key Lime filling into it and baked the whole thing for 10 minutes. We tried it after it chilled in the refrigerator overnight and I must admit it was not good. The crust was fine, not tough, I will make it again. Next time I will put a chocolate filling in it with whipped cream. The Key Lime was metallic tasting as if I had used a bottled lime juice. I squeezed 6 limes thank you. All that work. So I'm going to include my Shortbread Crust recipe below but I do not have a picture because I do not want to show you my Key Lime Pie. It does not deserve any praise.

Shortbread Crust
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons sugar
3/4 cup butter
1 egg yolk, for brushing crust
Mix all ingredients together until crumbly. Press into bottom and sides of 9 inch pie plate, Brush with egg yolk. Bake in 350°F (180°C) oven about 15 minutes until lightly browned. Cool and fill.

As I felt myself becoming all depressed about my terrible Key Lime Pie for my husband's birthday, he received a gift from our sister-in-law that turned our frowns upside down! Her wonderful Fried Pies. Yummy, Yummy. I think we inhaled several of them as soon as we got home. I do not have the recipe for them, but I wanted you to see her work so you could be jealous!

Happy Birthday!!!

No comments: