Sunday, March 30, 2008

Fudgy Brownie Bars

Here is a dessert that I made last night for Sunday School this morning. Sorry that I did not get it posted yesterday. Just wasn’t in the mood last night to post after baking because our weekend was so busy. Are you ready for this? *Drum roll* Two more weeks until our house is finished!!! I will believe it when I see it, but I’m keeping an open mind.
Moving on, the recipe called for 8 oz of milk chocolate candy. Ok, fine. So in my mind I’m thinking a Hershey candy bar. Right? I’m really not a candy person so I’m not familiar with weights and quantities of candy products. I found the Hershey bars in the store and to my surprise the average size bar is not 8 oz, no, it is only 3 oz. I’m sure my eyes got big when I read the package. So I moved over to the next size up, you know the one as big as your face. Five ounces . Just five. So I grabbed it and a three and left thinking to myself that these better be good. Mixing up the recipe was pretty standard for a bar cookie with no big surprises. I do enjoy chopping up chocolate bars I must admit. Makes me feel like a chocolatier or that I live in France.
The taste was fine. Not my absolute favorite. I thought the crust was a little flat tasting, but my husband thought it was good. He liked the crunch it gave to the bar. The crust is just a vehicle for the very fudgy chocolate and nuts. There are a lot of nuts in this and I might cut back on them next time. Make sure you do not over cook it or it will be dry. I made mine in a slightly smaller pan and baked it a little too long. You are not going to be able to do the toothpick test because of the chocolate pieces so don’t even try. Just follow the recipe.
Fudgy Brownie Bars
1 ¼ cups unsifted flour
¼ cup sugar
½ cup cold butter
1 (14 oz) can Eagle Brand Sweetened Condensed Milk
¼ cup unsweetened cocoa
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
½ tsp baking powder
1 (8oz) bar milk chocolate candy, broken into small pieces
¾ cup chopped nuts

Preheat oven to 350. In a medium bowl, combine 1 cup flour and the sugar; cut in butter until crumbly. Press on bottom of 13x9 baking pan. Bake 15 minutes.
In a bowl, beat sweetened condensed milk, cocoa, egg, remaining ¼ cup flour, vanilla, and baking powder. Stir in chocolate and nuts.
Spread over prepared crust. Bake for 20 minutes or until set. Cool. Sprinkle with powdered sugar if desired. Cut into bars. Store at room temperature.

No comments: