Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Peanut-Choco Bars

We have electricity!! *the crowd goes wild* Just a little house update for the ones who care and the ones that may not. We are now on day 80 in this crazy shaped Playhut of a rent house. It is also 24 days until BabyGirl’s birthday which is my unofficial deadline of completion. The race is on. However, I think BabyGirl will be blowing out her two candles before we haul any boxes. But, electricity is a big step in the right direction.
Now on to the food. What a week. I have been in such a quandary over what to make for Easter. There are so many events around the day that I must prioritize my time and food. Just too many things I want to make and not enough time to make them or oven space in my Easy-Bake oven in the rent house. (Note: It is a real oven; it just has a mind of its own. I often think a light bulb is the heating element.) Have I mentioned that we are on day 80. Right, right, I guess I have.
All to say, I have neglected my normal baking schedule for the week. Today’s first recipe was awful. I will not give the name of it to protect the innocent. It was one of those that was so strange I had to try it. Anyhoo, in order to get the smell out of the house I had to bake something else. I'm always leery when I bake something terrible to turn around and do something else. I would hate to have two strikes in a row. This one looked harmless. The crust seems like a lot when you pour it in the pan. I used my pastry roller to make sure it was firm in the bottom of the pan. The taste was good, very peanut buttery. You do have to wait until they have cooled to cut them or you will have a hot peanut butter mess. I did not have any peanuts or I would have put them in the recipe. That would have given them an extra added crunch.

Peanut-Choco Bars
1 pkg. white cake mix
1/2 c. plus 1/3 c. peanut butter
1 egg
1 (14 oz.) can Eagle Brand sweetened condensed milk
1 (6 oz.) pkg. semi sweet chocolate chips
3/4 c. Spanish peanuts (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees (325 for glass dish). In large mixing bowl, combine cake mix, 1/2 c. peanut butter and egg; beat on low speed until crumbly. Press firmly on bottom of greased 13 x 9 inch baking pan.
In medium bowl, combine sweetened condensed milk and remaining 1/3 cup peanut butter; mix well. Spread evenly over prepared crust.
Top with chocolate chips and peanuts (optional).
Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool. Cut into bars. Store loosely covered at room temperature. Makes 24 to 36 bars.

No comments: