Saturday, March 22, 2008

Mimi's Lime Jell-O Salad

Salad? What does that have to do with baking? Nothing, but it is good and I made it along with a few other things for Easter tomorrow and I thought I would share. My Mimi, my grandmother, always had "fluff salad" at Easter. Some years it was pink, some years it was green. I like green over pink myself. It is very easy to make, but not all will think it is wonderful. It tends to be one of those dishes that has been carried over since the 1950's or so. I think? I don't know my food history on this one. Most people will take it or leave it.
Few things to note: Make sure you drain your pineapple and get the correct can. They were out of it at my store along with a lot of other things. I thought I was going to have a "throwdown" with a lady over cool whip. I'm not a cool whip fan, unlike my parents, I much prefer real whipped cream, but even though I can in fact make whip cream dense as a brick, it is just too soupy for this salad/dessert. Other than that, just dump and stir. The taste is a lot like a foamy icebox pie without a crust. The marshmallows soften and just fade into the background.
More recipes to come for Easter Extravaganza 2008 ....

Mimi's Lime Jell-O Salad
1 8oz Cool Whip
1 3oz pkg. lime Jell-O
1 flat can of crushed pineapple
1 small cottage cheese
1/2 pkg mini marshmallows
1 c. chopped pecans

Sprinkle dry Jell-O over cool whip and stir until mixed well. Add pineapple, cottage cheese, marshmallows, and pecans. Refrigerate.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If I tell you how much I love that salad, would you share a small amount with me. This salad is probably my favorite and I am not just saying this to get some of it, but it really is my favorite and did I ever tell you how lucky you are that your MiMi taught you to cook and especially since your Mom doesn't know her way to the kitchen.

Your Dear Ol' Mom!!!
Doesn't this comment just tear your heart out----

Kelli said...

Yes, it does. I will try to save you a bite.