Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Pressed Sugar Cookies

Warning-these cookies are addictive. The first time I had them I ate six, and that’s not really like me. My sister-in-law gave me this recipe a little while ago, and it is one that has been in her family for years. I was just sad that I have known her for all these years and I had not had this cookie experience until 2 months ago.
The dough is fairly simple to make, but you do have to chill it. We know how I don’t like to wait for dough to chill. Too impatient. It does make a lot of cookies-8 dozen! I decided to cut the recipe in half. However, as addictive as they are I should have made all 8 if I’m planning on giving any away.
The cookie is so light and delicate. I mean delicate. I jokingly commented the first time I had them that each one needs to be wrapped in bubble wrap to protect them. I’m not sure if it is all the butter fat in them that makes them so flaky or the powdered sugar. I think the light-as-air quality makes you want more.

Pressed Sugar Cookies
1 cup sugar
1 cup powdered sugar
1 cup oil
1 cup butter + 2 T flour
1 tsp vanilla
2 eggs
4 ½ cups flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp soda
1 tsp cream of tarter

Cream sugars, oil, butter and vanilla. Add eggs and dry ingredients. Chill 4-5 hours or overnight. Roll in balls and press flat with glass or cookie press dipped in sugar. Sprinkle with colored sugar if desired. Bake at 375 degrees for 7-8 minutes.
Makes 8 dozen.

No comments: