Friday, February 15, 2008

Gumdrop Cookies

Happy National Gumdrop Day!
(According to Bizarre and Unique Holidays)
I do not care for gumdrops, but I did not want this holiday to go unnoticed. So, here is a recipe for Gumdrop Cookies from Paula Deen’s magazine, Cooking with Paula Deen. I have no idea what these would taste like, my guess, an unusual Oatmeal Raisin. I do not have a picture for you this time. However, here is a link to the cover of the magazine where she is holding a container full of these very colorful cookies.
So, get out there and make some Gumdrop Cookies in honor of today. If you make this recipe send me a picture, and I will be happy to replace the above link with your photo of this holiday treat.

Gumdrop Cookies
1 1/2 cups gumdrops
1 c. butter, softened
1/2 c. sugar
1/2 c. firmly packed brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp. Vanilla Extract
2 3/4 c. All-purpose Flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
3/4 tsp. salt
2 c. quick-cooking oats

Preheat oven to 350degrees. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
Using scissors, cut gumdrops into small pieces, set aside.
In a large bowl, beat butter and sugars at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla.
In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; gradually add to butter mixture, beating until combined. Stir in oats & gumdrops.
Roll dough into 1-inch balls. Place 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheets, and bake 10 minutes, or until lightly browned. Let cool on pans 2 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool completely. Store in airtight containers.

1 comment:

Ellen said...

Please DO NOT try these cookies. They stayed in a ball shape and did not spread as in the picture in Paula Dean's magazine. I followed the recipe to a 'T' and double checked my measurements. My baking powder and soda were just bought so that can't be the problem. I thought the dough was too dry when I was making them and I was right. Am very pissed that I wasted all the ingredients and my time as well.