Sunday, January 13, 2008

Whipped Cream

Whipped Cream-thanks or no thanks. When I go to Starbucks I always enjoy a nice hot chocolate, "no whip." When I eat Pumpkin Pie I request whipped cream. Whip cools down the hot chocolate too fast plus they give you less to drink. Pumpkin Pie needs the cream to add to the flavor.
So tonight I shared a treat from Sonic topped off with some crazy artificial cream. It was simply awful. The person I shared the treat with was forced to deal with it because I decided not to touch it. This all made me think of my own recipe for whipped cream. When cream has at least 30% fat and is mixed with air it becomes whipped cream. But, it really becomes good when you add at least 4 tablespoons of powered sugar and 1 to 2 tsp. of vanilla. Excellent. If you want a whipped cream to stand up by itself in the corner make sure you use a stand mixer. Very important. I mix mine on high for 2-3 minutes. Just the point where I am so afraid I'm going to make butter and I stop. All cream is not the same. I used store brand cream for a long time and then I bought a pint or two one day at Central Market. There must have been a high fat percentage. It whipped so fast. I was almost afraid to really look. It had to be the best ever. Plus, it remained whipped over 2 days and did not require to be whipped again. So I learned a lesson that day. I also learned never trust fast food whipped cream. hmmm.
So coming this week. Warm Lemon Cake, Snowball Cookies, and a Make It Your Way Bundt Cake. Well, we shall see.....

No comments: