Thursday, December 20, 2012

Mud Hens

Well, well, look who decided to post something after 2 years! 
So, shall we get started? Mud Hens. What are Mud Hens? Beats me. But, the better question would be, are they delicious? The answer is yes! Sweet, buttery, brown sugar goodness with a bit of saltiness. Think Kettle Corn or a Werther’s Original candy. Yum. Simple to make and no mixer involved. No mixer! Yay! Let us all take a moment for one less thing to wash…….. Okay, you can continue reading now.
Where did the name come from? After careful research I discovered that no one really knows. What I do know is that the name is also used for a minor league baseball team located inToledo, Ohio and a bird found in a marsh. If you know, please leave a comment.
Now, before someone out that goes crazy about my version of the recipe, I would like to point out that I know there is a different one involving marshmallows and chocolate chips. I also know that it is terribly southern and I live in the greatest state in the South, but I also live in an almost marshmallow free house where they are looked down upon and spoken badly of for their less than food like qualities. Don’t get me wrong, I would never say this but others have unless it is Thanksgiving and Fluff Salad is involved but I digress.

Moving on….
I would now like to share a few things that I have learned during my 2 year hiatus.
1. The statistic is somewhat true that Americans only bake 4.5 times a year. I bake more than that but it is not far off.
2. When you have a 6 year and a 3 year old you are only asked to bring/bake two things to school. Shaped sugar cookies with sprinkles and cupcakes with a ring stuck on top. Being slightly quirky *cough, cough*, I had a hard time buying store bought cupcakes. A really hard time. (Disclaimer: No one said they had to be store bought. Those came with said rings that 6 year old wanted.) I must confess that I bought them, took the rings out, baked my own, and stuck the rings in mine. Yes, I’m nuts. But, if I’m going to be a nut I would really like to be a walnut. At least they are loaded with Omega-3’s.
3. Baking powder really does settle in the bottom of the can from lack of use.
4. Baking 151 dessert recipes in a year was really kinda mean to my family. I’m sorry that you all became pre-diabetics. Hope you are enjoying my new hobby of reading until my eyeballs fall out. This one should really not affect your health as much as it is affecting mine. J
5. I have learned other things that I either do not feel like sharing or I don’t remember. A 6 year old and a 3 year old will do that to you. 
So now the big question that you all are dying to ask is if this post is the beginning of many more to look forward to in the weeks to come? Shoot no, I have 37 books on“my shelf” to read. But hey, if nothing else you never know when I might pop up.

 
Mud Hens
Courtesy of CookieClubRecipes.com
Ingredients:
2 sticks butter
1 c. granulated sugar
1 c light brown sugar, firmly packed
2 large eggs, well beaten
2 c. self-rising flour
1 c. pecans (I used walnuts)
2 tsp. pure vanilla

Directions:
Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Melt butter and add sugars. Blend well by hand (no mixer). Add beaten eggs, stir well. Add self-rising flour and stir until all lumps are gone, just until blended. Add pecans and vanilla. Turn out into a greased and floured 9x13-inch baking dish. Spread with fingers or a spatula dipped in water to cover dish. Bake approximately 40 to 50 minutes being cautious not to over cook. When cool, cut into squares and enjoy!

 

No comments: