Thursday, January 22, 2009

Easy German Chocolate Cake

As I was cleaning out my pantry today, I discovered that I had 13 boxes of cake and brownie mixes. Thinking that was a bit excessive, I decided to use one of them. The recipe I came up with was for German Chocolate Brownies from scratch. But, I wanted to use a cake mix. So, I modified the recipe. I did away with the directions for the “from scratch” brownies and doubled the topping. Not only did I want to use a mix, I also wanted to use a new muffin/cupcake pan. So, I made an 8-inch square pan of cake and 12 cupcakes. I’m not a huge fan of the cupcake, and I’m not really sure why they have become so popular in recent years. I guess because they are small and cute. That’s all I can come up with. I find them to be top heavy, messy, and the frosting gets on my nose and makes me angry. But hey, other people love them and that’s great. If everyone was like me there would be very few cupcakes and way too much cream cheese and coconut in the world. However, I would like to try a Hi-Hat and a Black Bottom Cupcake at some point. Not today.
Things to note. Drop the topping in very small amounts all over the cake or cupcake completely sealing the edges. Do not let the cake show through very much or the broiler will burn the top of the cake. Also, this topping does not spread well with a knife before going in the oven and does not spread when inside the oven. Where you put it is where it stays.
I liked the taste. Very traditional German Chocolate Cake taste to me. Wonderful gooey, caramelized, toasted coconut and pecan flavor without a lot of work.

Easy German Chocolate Cake
Ingredients:
1 18.25 oz German Chocolate Cake mix
1 ¼ cup of water
1/3 cup of oil
TOPPING:
4 tablespoons butter, melted
1 cup packed brown sugar
2 cups flaked coconut
1 cup chopped pecans
4 tablespoons corn syrup
4 tablespoons milk
Directions:
Prepare cake mix as directed. Pour into a greased 13x9-in. baking pan (or 2-8 inch pans or 24 cupcakes). Bake at 350° as directed on box or until toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. For topping, combine butter and brown sugar in a bowl. Add coconut, pecans, corn syrup and milk; mix well. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto warm cake; spread evenly. Broil 6 in. from the heat for 2-4 minutes or until top is browned and bubbly. Cool on a wire rack.

No comments: