Saturday, December 6, 2008

Cinnamon Roll Coffee Cake

Today was our Sixth Annual Cookie/Ornament Exchange. It went very well this year, and we had lots of good food too. One item that I made was this Cinnamon Roll Coffee Cake that I had wanted to try for several weeks. I had all the ingredients on hand but no motivation until today. Very, very simple and the crowd loved it. To me, the worst part was opening those silly exploding cans. I scream every time. I will be glad when BabyGirl is old enough to open them herself. Maybe she will find it more fun that I do.
I left the orange out of the recipe this time because of allergies in our crowd. However, I can see where that would be delicious. Or, perhaps a little orange extract would work just as well. Mine did take the full 25 minutes and was not doughy in the center like Monkey Bread. Everyone was on an even playing field this time in a 9x13 pan.
Oh yes, we had cookies too. I will get to those at another time.


Cinnamon Roll Coffee Cake
1/2 cup butter, melted
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
2 teaspoons grated orange peel (I made this optional)
3/4 cup chopped pecans
1/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 cans (17.5 oz each) Pillsbury® Grands!® cinnamon rolls with icing, refrigerated

1. Heat oven to 375°F. Spray 13x9-inch pan with cooking spray.
2. In small bowl, mix butter, brown sugar and orange peel (optional). Pour butter mixture into pan; top with 1/2 cup of the pecans.
3. In small bowl, mix sugar and cinnamon. Separate dough into 10 rolls. Cut each into quarters. Place dough pieces in sugar mixture; toss to coat. Arrange in single layer in pan.
4. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown and no longer doughy in center. Drop icing by teaspoonfuls over top of coffee cake; sprinkle with remaining pecans. Cool in pan 10 minutes. Cut into squares. Serve warm.

No comments: