Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Lucille’s Sock-It-To-Me Cake

When I was about 6 years old my Mimi decided to take me to see her sister Lucille. Lucille lived a little less than an hour from Mimi’s house, but it seemed like a very long drive to a 6 year old. In order for me to become a more patient waiter my Mimi turned to bribery. She told me that if I was good and quiet I could see Aunt Lucille’s bird. (I do not recall his name, so we will call him Oliver.) As soon as we got out of the car and rang the doorbell, the first words out of my mouth were, “where’s Oliver.” My Mimi explained the arrangement to Lucille and she told me that he was asleep so I had to be very, very, quiet which was apparently difficult for me. You see, Oliver slept in a birdcage with a cover over it. As a means of defense, he slept with a seed in his mouth. As Aunt Lucille lifted the cover off of the cage, Oliver woke up, made a noise, I screamed, and he spit the seed in my eye. Needless to say, I HATE BIRDS! I’m sure Oliver was a very sweet bird, but on that day he changed my way of thinking about our little feathered friends (enemies). The cover was put back on Oliver’s cage and I never saw him again. I know, what a great introduction to this recipe. There are many other wonderful stories about Aunt Lucille, but this one was the most dramatic and let's face it, drama sells!
Now, on to her cake....
This cake did not seem familiar when I tried it. I just assumed that I had had it before. It was very moist and did not have a butter or yellow cake mix taste because of the French vanilla pudding. The icing made it wonderful. I liked that the cinnamon was not overpowering unlike some sock it to me cakes. I needed some work on my swirling technique as it was a little random.
Lucille’s Sock-It-To-Me Cake
1 Butter Cake mix (don’t add butter)
4 Eggs
½ C. Oil
½ C. Water
4 oz. Sour Cream
½ Small Pkg. Instant French Vanilla Pudding
¼ C. Sugar
2 rounded tsp. cinnamon
Mix first 6 ingredients together in a medium size bowl. In a small bowl, combine sugar and cinnamon.
Put half of cake mixture in a greased and floured Bundt pan, sprinkle half of the cinnamon mixture on top of cake, swirl around. Pour in the rest of the cake mixture and add the rest of the cinnamon mixture, swirl. Bake at 350 for 40 min. Test for doneness. Glaze after cake cools.

Glaze:
¼ stick margarine
1 C. Sugar
1 small can of Pet milk
Cook until it begins to thicken. Drizzle over cake.

No comments: