Friday, September 26, 2008

Martha Stewart's Cowboy Cookies

Texture, texture, and more texture. This cookie is full of them.
So the other day I made the long walk to the mailbox and saw that my Martha Stewart magazine had arrived. The first thing I always do is flip to the last page to look at the Cookie of the Month. Cowboy Cookie? So not Martha. I ripped it out of the mag and put it in my file. This week she did a segment on her show on how to make this cookie. The first thing she did was turn her nose up at the name. I’m not surprised. I can’t believe she didn’t rename it. *Someone’s slipping.* Anyhoo, once I saw her make it with her guest on the show it got moved out of the file and put front and center for Friday’s Cookie.
Like a lot of Martha’s cookies, it turned out flat. When she makes them they are not flat. When the average person makes them they turn out flat and a lot of people complain about this problem. Her reason is always that people do not have fresh baking powder which is true for some. I can assure you that mine is fresh. I use buckets of the stuff and it does not have time to expire in my pantry. The picture of the cookie in her magazine is misleading to me. Her cookie looks very fluffy and full of flour, when really it is more of a praline, buttery, cookie. I don’t know what makes the difference. I personally prefer a buttery cookie over a flour cookie. Yum. I did make only a half of a batch which was a wrong decision because these are so tasty I wish I had more to share with others.
Cowboy Cookies
from Martha Stewart
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
8 ounces (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup light-brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups old-fashioned oats
6 ounces semisweet chocolate, cut into 1/4-inch chunks (1 cup)
3 ounces (3/4 cup) pecan halves
1/2 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat baking sheets with cooking spray, line with parchment, and spray parchment. Sift flour, baking soda, salt, and baking powder into a medium bowl.
Beat butter and sugars with a mixer on medium-high until pale and creamy, about 3 minutes. Reduce speed to medium. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla.
Reduce speed to low, and slowly add flour mixture, beating until just incorporated. Beat in oats, chocolate, pecans, and coconut until combined. (Dough can be refrigerated for up to 3 days.)
Using a 1 1/2-inch ice cream scoop or a small spoon, drop dough onto baking sheets, spacing 3 inches apart.
Bake until edges of cookies begin to brown, 11 to 13 minutes. Transfer baking sheets to wire rack, and let cool for 5 minutes. Transfer cookies to racks. Let cool. (Cookies can be stored up to 3 days.)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

These were really good. I actually got to eat a couple because hubby hates coconut. I could barely tell there was any. Just enough to add great flavor. YUM! Daughter #1 really liked them too.

Anonymous said...

I, too, thought these were a little too flat. Then I switched the amounts of baking powder and baking soda and they were puffier. Coincidence? Who knows? Both times they were very good.

Kelli said...

Anonymous-Interesting, I will have to try that next time. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

These cookies are excellent! I used a #30 scoop and they came
out beautiful! The suttle taste
of the coconut really makes the
cookie.
BZVCafe