Friday, September 12, 2008

Cake Mix Cream Cheese Brownies

Instead of buying batteries and securing things such as patio furniture and the grill; I thought a better idea would be to bake something. I would hate for the cream cheese and eggs to spoil when the tropical storm force winds knock out our power from Old Ike. Since I have not been to the grocery store yet with the masses I had to make something with items I had on hand. This recipe came from the Houston Chronicle but there are tons like it out there on the internet. I found it to be very easy to make and it did bake for exactly 50 minutes.
When you have made as many different Gooey Butter Cakes as I have it is hard to make Cream Cheese Brownies where the ratio of cake/brownie to cream cheese is very different. I did like the fact the brownie was the star of this show with the cream cheese in a supporting role. I love watching cream cheese topping in the oven. After about 20 minutes of baking I like to see how shimmery and pure the topping appears. I also love the color of the inside of an eggshell. Take a look next time you crack an egg. I know, I’m spending too much time looking at ingredients again. It’s either that or listen to the political junk on TV or the hurricane that is about to take out the bottom half of my state. So I’m admiring the beauty in food. I need to get out more.

Cake Mix Cream Cheese Brownies
1 box chocolate cake mix
1 stick melted Butter
3 eggs, divided
1/2 C. chopped nuts, optional
1 - 1 lb box powdered sugar
8 oz. cream cheese
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour a 13 by 9 inch baking dish. Combine dry ingredients, butter and 1 egg. Add pecans if desired. Spread in greased pan. Beat powdered sugar, cream cheese and remaining 2 eggs together and spread on top of the cake. Bake for 50 minutes or until cake tests done.

No comments: