Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Chess Cake

I started several times today trying to come up with a recipe to make. I thought I might make a cobbler, too hot, and then a cheesecake made in a crockpot, too hard to get out. So I pulled one of the new cookbooks I got for my birthday. This one came from shortgirl’s hometown. I love community cookbooks. Easy recipes that people enjoy. Like with any public cookbook you must first wade through the waters of Cake Mix Cookies, “Mom’s” Pecan Pie, and something called “Donkey Balls,” which was a first for me. Anyhoo, I found something that caught my attention, Chess Cake. Got the ingredients out, stirred up the cake, poured it in the pan, turned on the timer, and then the thought occurred to me. I’ve made this before, wait, I’ve made this several times in several different flavors. Well, low and behold, this is a Gooey Butter Cake. Well, I’ll be ding dang. However, this cake had more eggs in it causing somewhat of a difference. The crust was thicker and the top was richer. Very tasty. I personally like a thinner crust; more of a 50/50 ratio. If you have never had one I suggest going with the original first which is what I made today. Once you have that one under your belt jump on over to my favorite, a Pumpkin Gooey. I recently heard that there is a new Coconut Gooey Butter Cake recipe out. I know, I know, give the coconut a rest.

Chess Cake
1 box of yellow cake mix
2 sticks of butter, melted and divided
4 eggs, divided
1 box of powdered sugar or 4 cups
8 oz pack of cream cheese, softened

Preheat oven to 325 and spray the bottom of a 13x9 inch pan with cooking spray.
Beat together the cake mix, 1 stick of melted butter, and 2 eggs in a medium sized bowl until mixture is like dough. Spread in the bottom of prepared pan.
In the same bowl, mix 1 box of powdered sugar or 4 cups, 1 stick of melted butter, 2 eggs, and softened cream cheese until smooth. Pour over crust mixture. Bake for 1 hour. Cool and cut.

No comments: