Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Mississippi Fudge Cake

What a busy Father’s Day weekend. Whew. Well, let’s see, I started off by making my Dad a Pecan Pie on Friday which I talked about earlier. I made my husband Apricot Fried Pies on Saturday, which were not pretty enough to show, but he requested them. Again, I’m the Baking Redhead not the Frying Redhead. Don’t leave me alone with a pot of oil. I tend to start fires that way. Sunday, I got to enjoy a dessert for my father-in-law that I did not make. Yea! It was very tasty.
Today’s recipe is another one of my grandmother’s that was featured in our local newspaper in 1987. However, as much as I love her cake, I decided to make a different frosting that I found in our church’s cookbook. My decision was based on the fact that the newspaper did not print her frosting recipe correctly, and I was out of evaporated milk. The cake layer was so incredibly simple. Oh my. I kept looking for more things to do. So simple, wow. The only hard part was spreading the frosting over the marshmallows. I was glad to see that the other recipe I used gave instructions on length of time to wait before spreading. I remember watching my grandmother make this as a little girl, but I do not recall watching her do the hard part of spreading the frosting.
This would be an excellent potluck dish or good for funeral food. The cake is soft with a mild chocolate flavor. However, the frosting is very sweet with lots of chocolaty goodness. Next time I will put nuts in it and on top. It needed the little pops of protein. Today just happens to be my Mimi's 90th birthday, and soon you will see what I made for her party.



Mississippi Fudge Cake
2 sticks of butter, melted
1/3 cup cocoa
Melt butter. Add cocoa a little at a time and cool.
4 eggs
1 ½ cup flour
2 cups sugar

Combine butter mixture with the rest of the ingredients in a medium sized bowl. Pour into greased 9 x13 inch pan. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes. Cake will be soft.
Sprinkle ¾ of a 10 oz. package of miniature marshmallows over hot cake and return to the oven for 10 minutes or until melted.

Frosting
1 lb box of confectioner’s sugar
1/3 cup cocoa
1 stick of butter, melted
1/3 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla
1 c nuts (optional)
Mix sugar and cocoa together. Mix in melted butter. Add milk, vanilla, and nuts. Spread frosting over cake after it has cooled for 1 hour.

Happy 90th Birthday Mimi!!!

No comments: