Monday, June 30, 2008

Chocolate Cobbler

The Two Day Family Fun Garage Sale was a huge success in my book. We sold the majority of our old stuff and had money in our pockets to go buy new stuff. It was 100 degrees both days, but amazingly enough I almost got use to it by the end of the second day. I do not recommend having a sale when it is that hot, but I might do it again in five or ten years. Thank you for being patient with me last week. I just could not bring myself to bake anything. However, today is a new day.
I found a recipe in my file from another baking blog called Bake or Break. This dessert was titled Chocolate Cobbler which always makes me think of Cracker Barrel’s Chocolate Cobbler. I just had to see if they were similar and thought you might like to see also. No eggs in this dish. How odd. Make sure that you look in the directions to get the correct measurements. They are all together in the ingredients list and divided in the paragraphs.
So what about the hot water? I debated. How hot is hot? I decided to make it as hot as I would drink hot chocolate since I did not have a point of reference. Normally, when hot water is added to a chocolate cake it requires boiling water. However, it did not say anything about it in what I read.
The taste? Great! It is a lot like Cracker Barrel's Chocolate Cobbler. The sauce really makes it wonderful. I might add a touch more salt and a little cinnamon to spice things up.
This was so easy. I can't believe I have not made this until now.

Chocolate Cobbler
1 1/4 cups granulated sugar, divided
1 cup flour
7 tablespoons cocoa, divided
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup milk
1/3 cup unsalted butter, melted
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1 1/2 cups hot water

Preheat oven to 350°.
Stir together 3/4 cup sugar, flour, 3 tablespoons cocoa, baking powder, and salt. Stir in milk, butter, and vanilla, mixing until smooth. Pour into an ungreased 8-inch square glass baking pan.
In a small bowl, mix 1/2 cup sugar, brown sugar, and 4 tablespoons cocoa. Sprinkle evenly over batter. Pour hot water over the top. Do not stir.
Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until center is almost set. Let stand for 15 minutes, then serve. Use the chocolate sauce in the bottom of the pan to spoon over servings. Garnish, if desired, with ice cream or whipped cream.

No comments: