Thursday, May 29, 2008

Easy Peach Cobbler

I make two different kinds of Peach Cobbler depending on my mood and the amount of time I have in a day. The first and the more difficult/ more costly recipe involves 8 cups of peaches and a pastry crust. The second kind of cobbler is this one below. Now, I love them both but they are two very different creatures. The hard one is like a peach pie, and the easy one is like, well, a syrupy peach coffeecake? Maybe. Both are very yummy and rank high on my peach list. My husband would always vote for the pastry crust one because he loves pie. His love of pie and my love of cake brings variety to our kitchen.
Moving on. A few things to note. I don’t think you can over cook this dessert. Well, I’m sure you could, but I have made this before and forgot to reset the timer. I have no idea how long it cooked but it was fine. It says 30-45 minutes but I cook mine longer than that, more like an hour. The cakey part is very gooey and should be brown on top when you take it out. Serve this with vanilla ice cream when it is piping hot. The cream really adds to the flavor and cools the cobbler down a bit so that you do not burn yourself. Another thing to note, eat as much as possible the first time you serve it. This is not a recipe that reheats well.

Easy Peach Cobbler
1/2 cup butter
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup self-rising flour
3/4 cup milk
1 (29 ounce) can peach slices in heavy syrup, undrained
cinnamon, for sprinkling (optional)
Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Place butter in oven in a 2-quart baking dish to melt. Stir sugar and flour together and mix well. Slowly add milk and continue to stir to prevent the batter from lumping.
Being careful not to burn yourself, remove hot baking dish containing melted butter from oven; pour batter directly over butter in baking dish (DO NOT STIR).
Spoon fruit on top of batter, then gently pour syrup on top (DO NOT STIR). Sprinkle with cinnamon, if using. The most important part of this dish is not stirring the mixture.
Bake for 30 to 45 minutes or until golden brown. Your batter will rise above your fruit, producing the most wonderful of crusts. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream or fresh whipped cream.

No comments: