Saturday, March 15, 2008

Chocolate Chip Coffee Cake

There is probably going to be a large crowd at church tomorrow so I thought I would make a coffee cake. Very substantial, easy to serve. I was looking through my Taste of Home magazine and found a coffee cake to check out on their website, but when I got there I found a different one that looked intriguing. I'm pretty sure I can honestly say, wait, yes, I have never made anything in a springform pan but a cheesecake. I know, I know, where have I been? I’m sure all of you out there are making wonderful desserts, besides cheesecakes, in springform pans but me. Time to jump on the bandwagon. If I may move over to the sidebar quickly, did you know that you can layer dips or salads in a Springform pan? Just make sure you line your pan with parchment and chill the recipe before removing.
Okay, now moving back into Sugar World.... My nuts burned. What a predicament. The cake rose very tall in the oven and was too close to the top heating element therefore, it burnt my nuts. I took some off and left the rest on. Overall, it was a fairly easy cake to mix up and was not a problem to get out of the pan. I did place a piece of buttered parchment in the bottom as a means of insurance. The taste was also good. Very moist and buttery, with a cinnamon sugary topping like on a cinnamon doughnut. The chocolate chips could have been optional in my opinion. Just kind of unnecessary for this dessert which is funny since it is in the name. If I were to make this again I would leave the chips out and replace them with the pecans. This should also solve my nut burning problem at the same time. How efficient!

Chocolate Chip Coffee Cake
Ingredients
1 cup butter or margarine, softened
1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
1-1/2 cups sugar, divided
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup milk
1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
1/4 cup chopped pecans
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Directions
In a mixing bowl, cream the butter, cream cheese and 1-1/4 cups of sugar. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk. Stir in chocolate chips. Pour into a greased 9-in. springform pan. Combine the pecans, cinnamon and remaining sugar; sprinkle over batter. Bake at 350° for 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 15 minutes. Carefully run a knife around edge of pan to loosen. Remove sides of pan. Cool completely before cutting. Yield: 10-12 servings.

No comments: