Sunday, February 10, 2008

Double Chocolate Kisses Cookies

My Mom and Dad have taught a Children's Sunday School class for 40+ years. My mother is not a baker or a cook. At all. None whatsoever. It is amazing that I even like to bake. I think the baking bug skips a generation in my family. My grandmother was an excellent baker and cook therefore, that must be were I learned how and caught the bug. Plus, hours and hours of Food Network didn't hurt. This is all a round about way of saying why I baked this particular cookie for my parents. It was for their Sunday School class Valentine's Day party.
This recipe came straight from Hershey's site. I did use a hug instead of a kiss. The hug was much more interesting to me. The cookie itself tasted like a brownie. If I had more time I would have made my own icing. The canned icing tasted too "canned" for me. I did pipe the icing onto the cookie to make it easier to apply. It turned out great and was fun for kids of all ages.

Double Chocolate Kisses Cookies
Ingredients:
36 HERSHEY'S KISSES Brand Milk Chocolates or HERSHEY'S HUGS Brand Chocolates
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine, softened
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup milk
1 can (16 oz.) vanilla ready-to-spread frosting
Directions:
1. Heat oven to 375°F. Remove wrappers from chocolate pieces.
2. Beat butter, sugar, egg and vanilla in large bowl until well blended. Add flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt alternately with milk, beating until well blended. Cover; refrigerate dough about 1 hour or until firm enough to handle. Shape dough into 1-inch balls; place on ungreased cookie sheet.
3. Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until set. Cool 1 minute; remove from cookie sheet to wire rack. Cool completely. Spread frosting onto cookies, leaving about 1/2-inch around outer edge unfrosted; place chocolate piece in center of each cookie. About 3 dozen cookies.

No comments: