Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Cherry Pie

It’s Cherry Pie Day!
When I was growing up cake was the dessert of choice in my house, and pie was the dessert in my husband’s house. Therefore, I quickly learned how to make pies. I have made pie crusts from scratch, from a mix, unrolled ready made crust, and used frozen pie shells. I like ready made crust. It is easy, consistent, and most of all quick. I know, I know, it is not as thick or as good as a homemade crust, but I will admit I have fooled a few pie snobs in my day. They just thought they were getting a homemade crust. *throwing back my head with an evil laugh**clearing throat*.... Moving on, I truly had never had a Cherry Pie in my life until I made one myself. Had no idea what they tasted like. If cherry was a choice, I chose something else like apple, which by the way is the number one pie and cherry is number two.
Today’s recipe is my favorite Cherry Pie from the Betty Crocker Red Book. It takes no time to make and I use three cans of pitted red tart cherries. Just like the ready made pie crust, they are consistent and easy. I also use lots of red food coloring just to make it look like a classic Cherry Pie. Using three cans can be expensive at $3.00 a can, but it is worth it. It stands up so high and you feel like you have eaten a Cherry Pie when you are finished. So get out there and make a Cherry Pie to celebrate today!

Cherry Pie
Pastry(Two Crust)-link to homemade crust or a ready made crust
1 1/3 cups sugar
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
6 cups sour cherries, pitted(see note)
2 tablespoons butter or stick margarine, if desired
Red food coloring(optional)

1. Heat oven to 425°. Make pastry or unroll a ready made crust and place one crust in the bottom of a 9 inch pie plate.
2. Mix sugar and flour in large bowl. Stir in cherries. Turn into pastry-lined pie plate. Cut butter into small pieces; sprinkle over cherries. Cover with top pastry that has slits cut in it; seal and flute. Cover edge with 2- to 3-inch strip of aluminum foil to prevent excessive browning; remove foil during last 15 minutes of baking.
3. Bake 35 to 45 minutes or until crust is golden brown and juice begins to bubble through slits in crust. Cool on wire rack at least 2 hours.

Note: Substitute 6 cups frozen unsweetened pitted red tart cherries, thawed and drained, or 3 cans (14 1/2 ounces each) pitted red tart cherries, drained, for the fresh cherries.

No comments: