Monday, January 21, 2008

Seven Layer Cookies (Bars)

Today's recipe came from Grandma Rose's Book Sinfully Delicious Recipes 1975. I have chosen to call this a bar rather than a cookie because it resembles the famous Magic Cookie Bars. This recipe is very rich and very easy to make. No bowl required and only one measuring cup. I love layered things. Like the title of the recipe states there are seven ingredients and if you don't like one it tends to stand out. For example, I'm not a huge butterscotch fan. If I made this again, I might omit the butterscotch chips and replace them with more chocolate chips or peanut butter chips might be nice. However, make this recipe first and see what you like.
I did a few things differently when I made it this time. I only used 1 cup of chopped pecans, because that is all I had, and 2 cups of graham cracker crumbs. The edges do cook quickly so you do need to heed the warning in the recipe.

Seven Layer Cookies
1 (6 oz) package butterscotch chips
1 (6 oz) package chocolate chips
2 cup chopped pecans
1 cup shredded coconut
2-3 cups graham cracker crumbs
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 stick of unsalted butter.

Preheat oven to 325, put stick of butter in 9 x 13" baking pan in oven - allow it to melt take out pan, then spread graham crumbs on top - distribute evenly and pat down. Sprinkle the butterscotch and chocolate chips evenly over the crumb mixture then the coconut. Pour the entire can of milk over the mixture then sprinkle the nuts evenly and pat down.

Bake in a preheated oven for approximately 30 minutes, or until the center appears to be cooked - if the edges appear to be browning too fast, cover the edges of the cookies w/ aluminum foil - it is important that the cookies bake thoroughly - if too soon, the center will be mushy if too long, the edges will be burnt and hard. Remove from oven and cool before cutting into bars.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Baking Redhead:

I have just finished eating Seven Layer Cookie which in my opinion was just the best dessert I have eaten in a long time.

Thank You